Public Records Requests
Following is the St. Charles Parish Library Policy regarding requests for public records. A printable copy of the Public Records Request Form is available in Microsoft Word format or PDF format. Requests for public records can be submitted in person at any library branch (they will be forwarded to the Library Director) or directly to the Library Director via e-mail to LibraryBoard.Secretary@myscpl.org or via US postal service addressed to:
St Charles Parish Library
ATTN: Library Director
PO Box 1029
Destrehan, LA 70047
Public Records Requests
The St. Charles Parish Library complies with Louisiana Public Records Law. The purpose of this law is to allow persons to examine the records of the Library within the exceptions permitted by law and following procedures established by the Library Board of Trustees.
“Record” means all documents created by, received by, under the authority of, or coming into the custody, control or possession of the St. Charles Parish Library.
“Public official” means any official or employee of the St. Charles Parish Library.
“Record Custodian” is the library employee designated to provide access to records, copy as requested and receive fees.
- Library users’ records are specifically exempted by LSA-R.S. 44:1 ET SEQ.
- Personnel records may be kept confidential: which relate to internal personnel investigations including examination and selection material for employment, hiring, appointment, promotion, demotion, discipline, or resignation; or where disclosure would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy such as employee evaluations, payroll deductions, or employment applications submitted by persons not hired by the library.
Note: All personnel records not specifically falling within the exceptions are available for public inspection and copying.
- Purchasing records may be kept confidential if disclosure would give an unfair advantage to competitors or bidders.
- Gifts or donations where anonymity is a condition of the donation.
C. Inspection and Copying
Providing access to public records and the fee involved in the copying or mechanical reproduction of them are fully described in LSA-R.S. 44:1 ET SEQ
It is the purpose of this procedure to establish reasonable access to the records of the St. Charles Parish Library subject to the release under the LSA-R.S. 44:1 ET SEQ., to protect the integrity and organization of library records, and to help prevent disruption of the library’s essential functions.
The Record Custodian shall be the Library Director, St. Charles Parish Library, P O Box 1029, Destrehan, Louisiana 70047.
The following procedures will be followed for the inspection and copying of open public records:
- Consistent with the policy, duties and procedures established by the LSA-R.S. 44:1 ET SEQ the Record Custodian will provide full access and assistance in a timely and efficient manner to persons who request access to open public records.
- The Record Custodian will protect the integrity and organization of public records with respect to the manner in which such records are inspected and copied.
- The Record Custodian will seek to provide records at the earliest possible time.
- All inspections and copying of open public records will be performed by, or under the supervision of, the Records Custodian or her designee.
- All persons requesting the inspection of or copying of open public records will complete a written request (Public Records Request) before the request will be honored.
- All Public Records Request forms must be completed by the person requesting the record.
- In instances where the requester cannot provide sufficient information to identify a record, the Record Custodian will assist in making such identification.
- Any fees involved in the copying of records are due at the time the copies are provided to the requesting party.
- The fee per page of records will be established and adjusted from time to time in accordance with and equal to the fee per copy of the copying machines available to the general public in the library.
- Hours for accepting requests for inspection or copying will be all regular working hours for each day the office maintains regular office hours.
- Removal of public records from the office where kept and maintained, for purposes of inspection and/or the copying, will not be permitted.
- If the Record Custodian denies the inspection and/or the copying of any record, such denial is to be stated on the request form along with the reason for the denial.
- A copy of each request will be retained for reasonable period of time. All requests will be subject to LSA-R.S. 44:1 ET SEQ and available for public inspection and/or copying.
Instructions for use of this form:
This form is to be used when a person asks to see and/or copy records of the library system subject to the LSA-R.S. 44:1 ET SEQ
Requester’s Name: _______________________________________________________
Requester’s Address: _____________________________________________________
(please print number, street, city, state, zip)
Requester’s Telephone: _____________________ Today’s Date: _____________
Description of Document Requested: _________________________________________
Is a copy desired? Yes No (circle one) Note: A fee is charged for copying.
Requester’s Signature: _____________________________________________________
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
(to be completed by the Record Custodian)
Request filled by: _____________________________ Date: ___________________
Fee Paid (amount): ___________________________ (This form serves as a receipt.)
If a request is denied or withdrawn, state reason(s) for denying or withdrawing the request.
PUBLIC RECORDS REQUEST
St. Charles Parish Library
Adopted May 19, 2009